Here’s our comprehensive guide to stake KAVA tokens and earn block rewards using Keplr, Cosmostation and Trust Wallets.
KAVA tokens can be bought using centralized exchanges, like Coinbase, Kraken, Binance.us or Binance.com if you’re located outside the United States.
Our node’s page on Kavascan can be found here.
What is staking?
According to the FAQ at Coinbase:
“Staking is the process of actively participating in transaction validation (similar to mining) on a proof-of-stake (PoS) blockchain. On these blockchains, anyone with a minimum-required balance of a specific cryptocurrency can validate transactions and earn staking rewards.”
In essence, you assign the voting power of your tokens to a validator node and in return earn more tokens.
Staking yield fluctuates. As more people stake, the yield falls because the rewards pie is being divided up between more people.
Click here to check out the KAVA staking calculator
What is a validator node?
Validators are node operators who each store a copy of the blockchain. They keep the network secure by verifying movement on the chain from one address to another. They also vote and help govern proposed changes to the blockchain network.
Validator nodes are responsible for processing transactions and authoring new blocks. The node is simply a computer that’s running the blockchain’s software. Our nodes are hosted in a data center and run 24/7.
What is a delegator?
People like you, who stake their tokens with a validator node are called, delegators. You “delegate” your tokens to a validator.
The validator node never takes custody of your tokens. Their voting power is moved to the staking module on the blockchain. It’s just a ledger entry that delegates their voting power to a node. This helps secure the blockchain and entitles you to staking rewards.
If you decide to stop staking and unbond your tokens, they’ll be made available after 21 days.
What is slashing when staking tokens?
Delegating tokens does have some risk. If the validator you select misbehaves and gets slashed, you lose some tokens.
Slashing is a mechanism built into Proof of Stake blockchains to discourage validators from doing the wrong thing. It occurs when a node has too much downtime, or double signs blocks.
KAVA staking is available in several wallets and we’ll highlight Keplr, Cosmostation and Trust wallet. Here is a step-by-step guide to stake KAVA tokens and earn block rewards.
How to stake KAVA tokens in Keplr Wallet
1. Download the Keplr browser extension
2. Select the KAVA network from the drop down at the top of the wallet
3. Click the “stake” button and the main wallet dashboard will open up in a new tab or window
4. Type Blocks United into the search box, or scroll down to find Blocks United in the list of active validators.
5. Click the arrow to the right of our node’s name. A window will pop up that displays your available KAVA tokens.
6. Click “Delegate”.
7. Enter the number of tokens you would like to stake. (IMPORTANT) Be sure to leave at least .01 KAVA in your wallet to pay for future transactions, like claiming rewards.
8. Click “Delegate” and a new window will pop. Click “Approve”.
That’s it. Your KAVA tokens are now staked with Blocks United!
How to stake KAVA tokens in Cosmostation Wallet
1. Download the Cosmostation extension.
2. Open the Cosmostation browser extension and select the Kava chain.
2. If using a connected hardware wallet, open the Cosmos app on your physical Ledger device.
3. Hover over the Wallet menu item at Cosmostation.io and then select Web Wallet and then Get Started.
4. Select the Kava network in the top right of your screen in the Web Wallet.
5. Click “Connect Wallet” and then click Cosmostation, or Ledger if using a connected Ledger hardware wallet.
4. Select “Delegate” and then scroll down the list of active validators to find Blocks United. Click “Delegate” next to Blocks United.
5. Enter the amount you’d like to stake. (IMPORTANT) Be sure to leave at least .01 KAVA in your wallet to pay for future transactions, like claiming rewards.
6. Click “Generate & Sign Transaction”
That’s it! Your KAVA tokens are now staked with our validator and you’re earning block rewards.
You’ll then see your staked tokens at the top of the page under the heading “My Validators.”
How to stake KAVA tokens in Trust Wallet
1. Click on your KAVA token position in the wallet.
2. Click the blue “Stake” button.
3. Click “stake”.
4. A randomly selected validator automatically populates the “VALIDATOR” field. Click the arrow to the right of the listed validator to find the drop down list. Scroll down to find Blocks United and click on Blocks United
5. Enter the amount you’d like to stake and click “CONTINUE”.
6. Verify the details and then click “CONFIRM”.
That’s it! Your tokens are now staked with our validator.
Hopefully this tutorial showed you how to stake KAVA tokens using Keplr wallet, Cosmostation wallet and Trust wallet.
If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below or fill out the contact form on our homepage.